TAMH: Tours
The Arbroath Cliffs Tour - 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10


Cliffs: Mariners' Grave

A small bay, surrounded by steeps sides, to the East of the Needle's Ee was the site of a shipwreck in January 1800. From this it received its name, the Mariners' Grave. Not all the mariners perished: some were saved by the lowering of a basket and the story of the rescue is used in Sir Walter Scott's 'The Antiquary' and in R A Ballantyne's 'The Lighthouse'.


Size: 875x595 (142 KB)
© Douglas MacKenzie
Click on the image above to view the full size image

Find Text: Search Type: