Early Dundee - 1
Harbour in 15th Century
Source: Whatley, Swinfen, Smith: Life and times of Dundee
Despite the long history of a harbour in the burgh, it was not until 1447 that official steps were taken to finance its upkeep. James II granted letters patent to the Town Council allowing them to charge shore dues on goods arriving at the port. Freemen of 'the king's burghs' were charged 2d, and unfreemen 4d, on every serplare (80 stones) of wool and skins imported. The same charges applied to every chalder (ca. 96 bushels) of corn, malt or salt.
From this time onward there are regular references to harbour repairs and regulations about conduct by its users in the Town Council minutes. From 1458, 'haven silver' was extracted from vessels coming in for repair.