Pernau in the 19th century
Pernau had grown rapidly in the 17th century culminating in the formation of a university in 1699. The early 18th century, though, brought this growth to an end as the town was incorporated into the Russian Empire. It began to propsper again from the end of the 1830s when the first bathing facility was built and the town's fame as a health resort, which continues to this day, began.
Exports of timber, flax and hemp to the Tayside ports peaked towards the end of the 19th century. At this time it was also a substantial manufacturing centre with the Waldhoff cellulose plant, the largest manufacturing employer in Tsarist Russia, providing work for 3000 people.
Size: 654x417 (56 KB)
© Douglas MacKenzie
Click on the image above to view the full size image
Search for voyages to Pernau in the 19th century.