Albert Institute/McManus Galleries
Images from 1906 and 2003 of the Albert Institute (now the McManus Galleries, Dundee's main public museum). It was built for the 1867 meeting of the British Association in Dundee. The building was designed by Gilbert Scott at the request, and with the funding of, a private company led largely by the Baxters. The intent was to build the grandest memorial to Prince Albert outside London.
Gilbert Scott, the English architect who also designed Glasgow University, apparently dusted down an unused design for Hamburg's Rathaus for the Institute.
Opened as a library in 1869 with an extension, for use as a Museum and Art Gallery, designed by David Mackenzie, in 1873. A new wing, called the Victoria Galleries, to commemorate Victoria's Golden Jubilee, was opened in 1889 to a design by William Alexander.
Some of the statues surrounding the building are shown: Robert Burns, looking across to the home of Our Wullie and The Broons; Queen Victoria (Harry Bates ARA, bronze on red granite pedestal with bas-reliefs of episodes in the Queen's life); and James Carmichael, (John Hutchison RSA), father-in-law of Peter Carmichael of Baxter's fame, inventor of the fan-blast, and whose company sent boilers throughout the empire.