where is tayside?
mariners & voyages
TAMH: Source Material
Arbroath newspaper clippings. - 1| 2| 3| 4| 5
From the Guide 3rd January 1953.
HISTORY OF ARBROATH
At this time (1846) the arrivals at the harbour in a year were 731 laden vessels of which 32 were from the colonies and foreign ports, and in the busiest years of the harbour's trade there were as many as 20 pilots on duty.
The matter was once more brought under the notice of the Royal Commission in 1858 on Harbours of Refuge, when the granting of Government aid to Arbroath was urged, not on commercial grounds so much as on the grounds of public utility and humanity, owing to the number of wrecks on the coast.
In 1864, by going to Parliament for a new Act, the harbour trustees increased the harbour revenue and were able to renew part of the works which had become dilapidated. River walls hemming in the course of the Brothock from the foot of Marketgate to the sea at Danger Point were also built.
A loan was got from the Government in 1871, and reconstruction of the harbour was proceeded with. The new harbour and the entrance from the bar were deepened and the old harbour, with its quays rebuilt was converted into a wet dock. The wet dock was completed in 1877.
It was during the alterations undertaken about 1875 that the old entrance to the inner dock at the South-west corner was built up and a new entrance gateway was formed where the dock-gates are now situated. An old slipway in the Northeast corner of the dock was also done away with.
In 1882 the dock entrance collapsed, the ruin extending to part of the adjoining walls of the dock. Restoration work was begun at the end of the year, but difficulties were encountered, and it was not until 1887 that the dock entrance was fully restored.
|site design dmc © 1995-2004 | email email@example.com|